Advanced Health Career Exploration for those who have successfully completed our MedQuest Program.
- Five day residential program at the University of Vermont campus
- Two half day Job Shadows at UVM and area organizations in areas of interest to students
- Open to any student who has successfully completed a MedQuest program in Southern or Northern Vermont
- Workshops presented by faculty and clinicians of the Larner College of Medicine or UVM Medical Center
- Gain more in-depth understanding of topics in healthcare through case studies, discussions, and small group work.
- A reading will be assigned prior to the program related to working in healthcare with a discussion to take place during the program.
- An in-depth knowledge of a variety of health careers and shadow opportunities in an area of interest to them
- Experienced a dormitory setting in preparation for college.
- Students will participate in two three-hour job shadows with healthcare professionals. These shadows will allow students to experience some of the careers that they have identified as areas of interest.
- INCREASE AWARENESS
- An understanding of the relationships between health professions and various departments within a health care facility.
- Extensive training in HIPAA standards and interact professionally with health care providers and peers.
- Learn about the pathology of disease by observing in the pathology lab and learning about a variety of diseases and how they affect organs within the body
- Discuss issues of medical ethics and cultural sensitivity with those in the field.
- Learn about workplace skills including developing self-awareness, personal and professional integrity, teamwork, bullying, conflict resolution, and dealing with incivility in the workplace.
You will apply online and will need one non-family reference.
Applications are available in the beginning of February each year and close md-March.
Cost and Accommodations
The cost for the 2019 programs was $750.00 which included room, food, workshop supplies, and transportation to shadow assignments. Students stayed in college housing on the campus of the University of Vermont. Students can expect to share a room or stay in a single bedroom. Staff provide 24/7 supervision. Scholarships are available based on need and availability – request in application.
All students who attend high school in a Vermont school and have successfully completed a MedQuest program are eligible to apply for the program.
For School Staff
Some schools award school credit to students participating in the MedQuest program. Below you will find a breakdown of the total number of academic hours the students spend learning throughout the week.
Advanced MedQuest Breakdown of Program Hours
Contact our Health Careers Educator more information about MedQuest.
Eleanor Thomas, Health Careers Educator
Phone: 802-885-2126, ext 103